Cultural values: Intangible forms and places
Nuti, Giancarlo (2003) Cultural values: Intangible forms and places. In: 14th ICOMOS General Assembly and International Symposium: ‘Place, memory, meaning: preserving intangible values in monuments and sites’, 27 – 31 oct 2003, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. [Conference or Workshop Item]
Abstract (in English)
Cultural values are to be preserved for life to have a meaning in human terms. Becoming, over many centuries and places, has established the founding roots of biodiversity for human cultures as well, which are the most genuine embodiment of intangible values. The impact of ethic groups, beliefs and imported lifestyles and cultures has developed into colonial and utilitarian geopolitical set-ups, destructive for pre-eminent inherited values (in African and South-American countries). The recent history of the European civilization has unfolded at varying rates, since the transmission of intangible values has been distorted by all-invading rationalism and insensitive technology. The human time of “knowing how to be” has been ostracized by that of having plenty of more and a greater choice. Now, the past must be read in the continuity of the present, even if, for the progress of science, it is imbued with the future. Humanity is waiting for new cultural developments, steered towards the sources of life through the perception of the senses (expressions), the memory of the intangible (values) and the images of places (symbols). To preserve this understanding, experiences and situations drawn from places with innate intangible values are presented – through the nature of sites and the structure of monuments in Guatemala, Japan, Malaysia and Africa.
|Item Type:||Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)|
|Keywords:||intangible heritage; cultural values|
|Subjects:||O.INTANGIBLE HERITAGE > 01. Generalities
H.HERITAGE TYPOLOGIES > 17. Intangible cultural heritage
|ICOMOS Special Collection:||Scientific Symposium (ICOMOS General Assemblies)|
|ICOMOS Special Collection Volume:||2003, 14th|
|Depositing User:||Jose Garcia|
|Date Deposited:||10 Dec 2010 16:49|
|Last Modified:||13 Jan 2011 19:15|
|References:||1) G. Nuti: “LA VITALITA’ DEL MONUMENTO ANTICO E L’AMBIENTE URBANO”, Proceedings of the international I.C.O.M.O.S. meeting, “The Monument for the Man” Merzilli Ed. Venice 1964.
2) H. Fathy: “COSTRUIRE AVEC LE PEUPLE” Ed.
Sindbad, Paris 1970.
3) G. Nuti: “VALENCES ORGANIQUES ET CARACTERES HISTORIQUES DE L’ESPACE URBAIN DANS LA FORME-STRUCTURE DE LA RUE” Proceedings of the international I.C.O.M.O.S. meeting “Le visage de la rue dans le cités historiques” Lausanne (Switzerland) June 1973.
4) A.Ravéreau: “LE M’ZAB, UNE LECON D’ARCHITECTURE” Ed. Sindbad, Paris 1981.
5) G. Nuti: “ LA CITTA’ DEL DIVENIRE” Da “ Habitat recovery for the city in the XXI century: Innovation and co-operation”, Results of the World Day on Habitat in an Era of Transition. Edited by C. Beguinot and A: Notarangelo Università degli Studi Federico II, Naples, 1997.
6) G. Nuti: “MODELLI E TECNICHE PER ABITARE: MURI DI PIETRA E HIGH-TECH” Proceedings of the international meeting: “De’ Castelli di pietra e di cristallo”, Università degli Studi di Trieste e di Udine, November 1998.
Actions (login required)
- HTML Citation
- ASCII Citation
- OpenURL ContextObject
- MPEG-21 DIDL
- EP3 XML
- Dublin Core
- Reference Manager
- Simple Metadata
Downloads per month over past year