The impact of tourism on core area and buffer zone: heritage management in the Old Town of Lijiang, China
Li, Fan and Shao, Yong (2005) The impact of tourism on core area and buffer zone: heritage management in the Old Town of Lijiang, China. In: 15th ICOMOS General Assembly and International Symposium: ‘Monuments and sites in their setting - conserving cultural heritage in changing townscapes and landscapes’, 17 – 21 oct 2005, Xi'an, China. [Conference or Workshop Item]
Abstract (in English)
This paper deals with heritage management with emphasis on solution for the impact of mass tourism on the old town of Lijiang in China. The paper identifies the impact of tourism on the restricted conservation area and its setting------buffer zone area. The paper analyzes stakeholders behind those impacts and intervention on heritage by the local authorities. Finally, based on the previous research the paper demonstrates how to improve the present situation and how to integrate heritage management into social, economic and cultural development by the different stakeholders at different management levels.
|Item Type:||Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)|
|Keywords:||Historic town; World Heritage List; conservation area; buffer zone; core area; tourism; management|
|Subjects:||I.CULTURAL TOURISM > 05. Tourism impact
M.WORLD HERITAGE CONVENTION > 03. World Heritage List
E.CONSERVATION AND RESTORATION > 07. Management
I.CULTURAL TOURISM > 02. Tourism management
H.HERITAGE TYPOLOGIES > 13. Historic town centres
|Name of monument, town, site, museum:||Old Town of Lijiang, China|
|UNESCO WHC Number:||811|
|ICOMOS Special Collection:||Scientific Symposium (ICOMOS General Assemblies)|
|ICOMOS Special Collection Volume:||2005, 15th|
|Depositing User:||Jose Garcia|
|Date Deposited:||25 Nov 2010 18:52|
|Last Modified:||13 Jan 2011 19:15|
|References:||1. Coccossis, H. and Nijkamp, P. (eds.) (1995) Planning for Our Cultural Heritage. Aldershot: Avebury Ashgate Publishing Limited.
2. Foster, D. (1985) Travel and Tourism Management. London: Macmillan.
3. Global Heritage Fund. Lijiang Project. Internet address: http://www.globalheritagefund.org/. Accessed 10/06/2004.
4. Shanghai Tongji Urban Planning and Research Institute. (unpublished, in Chinese) (2003) The Conservation Master Plan of the Lijiang Old Town.
5. Shao, Y. (unpublished, in Chinese) (2003) Road of Revitalization: Urban Heritage Conservation and Development in China.
6. UNESCO (1972) Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and National Heritage.
7. UNESCO Bangkok, (2002) Lijiang Workshop. Internet address: http://www.unescobkk.org/culture/tourism/index.html. Accessed 10/06/2004.
8. Zhang, G. R. (2003) China’s Tourism Since 1978: Policies, Experiences, and Lessons Learned in Alan, A. L. Lawrence, Y. John, A. and Zhang, G. (eds) Tourism in China. Binghamton: The Haworth Hospitality Press.
9. Zhu, L. W. (in Chinese) (1985) Vernacular Architecture of Naxi Minority in Yunnan. Kunming: Yunnan Science and Technology Publishing House.
Actions (login required)
- HTML Citation
- ASCII Citation
- OpenURL ContextObject
- MPEG-21 DIDL
- EP3 XML
- Dublin Core
- Reference Manager
- Simple Metadata
Downloads per month over past year