San Pawl Milqi, Burmarrad, Malta - Presentation of a multi-cultural site in a changing landscape
Cefai, Shirley, Cassar, Joann and Locatelli, Davide (2005) San Pawl Milqi, Burmarrad, Malta - Presentation of a multi-cultural site in a changing landscape. In: 15th ICOMOS General Assembly and International Symposium: ‘Monuments and sites in their setting - conserving cultural heritage in changing townscapes and landscapes’, 17 – 21 oct 2005, Xi'an, China. [Conference or Workshop Item]
Abstract (in English)
San Pawl Milqi is found in the north-eastern part of the island of Malta next to Salina bay and overlooking Burmarrad valley. The site was originally situated on an important harbour that is now silted, and was surrounded by agricultural land. The area is rich in archaeological remains belonging to different periods. The boundary wall of the multi-cultural site incorporates an area of approximately 4000 m2. Within this area there is evidence of prehistoric settlement, punic farmhouse, a rural villa belonging to the end of the 2nd century B.C. and evidence of a later period from the 1st to the 11th century A.D. There is evidence that at least two churches were constructed on site. The potential and value of San Pawl Milqi is historical and archaeological, scientific, didactic, social and religious and most importantly a very good example of an ever changing cultural landscape. Recently there have been attempts in studying the environment of the archaeological remains that are exposed together with the environment of the archaeological remains that are underneath the existing structure of the church. A conservation plan for the site was also being set up that was intended to lead to the presentation of the site to be public due to a museographical project.
|Item Type:||Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)|
|Keywords:||archaeological site; prehistoric site; archaeological remains; landscape; setting; agriculture; archaeological excavations; conservation project; museographical project; visitor centre|
|Subjects:||B. ARCHAEOLOGY > 10. Prehistoric site
I.CULTURAL TOURISM > 02. Tourism management
B. ARCHAEOLOGY > 02. Archaeological site and remains
E.CONSERVATION AND RESTORATION > 05. Sites
|Name of monument, town, site, museum:||San Pawl Milqi, Malta|
|ICOMOS Special Collection:||Scientific Symposium (ICOMOS General Assemblies)|
|ICOMOS Special Collection Volume:||2005, 15th|
|Depositing User:||Jose Garcia|
|Date Deposited:||27 Nov 2010 10:11|
|Last Modified:||13 Jan 2011 19:15|
|References:||1. Agius D.C. San Pawl Milqi: Proposing a Conservation Project for the Archaeological Site. Unpublished B.E.A dissertation. University of Malta 2004.
2. Bergamaschi C. and Rossi A.M. Un GIS per il restauro. Il progetto della villa di San Pawl Milqi a Malta. Parte I e II Unpublished dissertation submitted to the “Scuola di Specializzazione in Archeologia”, Università Cattolica – Milan, Milano 2000-2001.
3. Bruno B. L’arcipelago maltese in età romana e bizantina. Attività economiche e scambi al centro del Mediterraneo Bari 2004.
4. Cagiano de Azevedo M. Gli scavi della campagna 1964, in Missione 1964, 179-190.
5. Cagiano de Azevedo M. Testimonianze paoline a Malta, Roma 1966.
6. Cassar J. Deterioration of the Globigerina Limestone of the Maltese Islands. In: Natural Stone, Weathering Phenomena, Conservation Strategies and Case Studies, (eds. Siegesmund S., Vollbrecht A. and Weiss T.), Geological Society Special Publication, 205, 33-49, 2002.
7. Locatelli D. San Pawl Milqi, in Scavi e ricerche della Missione Archeologica Italiana (eds Ciasca A. and Rossignani M.P.) “Malta Archaeological Review”,4, 64-65, Malta 2000.
8. Locatelli D. San Pawl Milqi. History and perspectives of an archaeological site, in “Treasures of Malta”, Easter 2000, Malta 2000.
9. Locatelli D. La ripresa delle indagini a San Pawl Milqi (Malta), in Da Pyrgi a Mozia. Studi in memoria di Antonia Ciasca (eds. Amadasi M.G., Colonna G. and Mattiae P.) Roma 2002, 295-318.
10. Magri A.M. Conservation of the Archaeological Site of San Pawl Milqi: a Comparative Study of the External and Internal Environment. Unpublished B.E.A. dissertation. University of Malta, 2003.
11. Missione Archeologica Italiana a Malta. Rapporto preliminare della campagna 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, (ed. Cagiano de Azevedo M.), Roma 1964-1972.
12. Pedley M., Hughes Clarke M., Galea P. Limestone Isles in a Crystal Sea. The geology of the Maltese Islands, Malta 2002.
13. Sultana D. The Chapel of San Pawl Milqi, Burmarrad and its Immediate Surroundings Unpublished B.E.A dissertation. University of Malta 2001.
Actions (login required)
- HTML Citation
- ASCII Citation
- OpenURL ContextObject
- MPEG-21 DIDL
- EP3 XML
- Dublin Core
- Reference Manager
- Simple Metadata
Downloads per month over past year